Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!!

A very happy new year in 2010 to all! Last night was my dad's 50th birthday and we had a party at my parents house. I'm so glad my DH and I made it to celebrate with him; it was well-worth the trip. Unfortunately we have to leave tomorrow to make our trek across the country home. Will have to go a different route too as our normal route is supposed to get 2 feet of lake effect snow! Darn Great Lakes!!

As everybody else is doing, here is my decade recap....

2000-Graduate high school and start attending university as a music major. Join my university marching band which was the best college decision I ever made. Tons of friends and wonderful memories to be started and shared. Started working at a bank which was also one of the best job decisions I ever made.

2001-2nd year of university and I have switched to psychology. Music is my passion, and it was becoming a burden. Probably my best year in university as far as friends, band and fun. Keep working at the bank, have moved into the real estate department.

2002-Worst year of university....end 3 year relationship with first boyfriend which was difficult but also best decision I ever made relationship wise. School was a blur and kept trucking at the bank. Real estate boom starts and I have job security, even as a university student.

2003-Meet my future DH online on a random messageboard. We start an anonymous friendship. Start dating another local guy and he is my "band romance." We have tons of fun but arent a match and he breaks my heart 9 months later in 2004. 2nd most fun year in university. Still at the bank and loving it.

2004-Graduate university. Boyfriend ends the relationship. R is more there for me than my real life friends. Feelings start to change even though we try to stay grounded. R books a flight to my town for February 2005. I quit the bank and start work in my field at a residential group home for at-risk and unwanted youth. Also start working at a youth detention centre at the end fo the year.

2005-DH flies to my hometown and we spend 8 wonderful days together. After he goes home, we decide we're gonna make something of this and our long distance relationship begins. I apply for graduate school and get accepted at all 3 of my chosen programs. I decide to go to Chicago; it was the less expensive city and closest to home. Pack up and leave my home for the last time to go to the big city to start my program. My beloved grandfather is diagnosed with lung cancer that summer before I leave. Dad gets a new job two months later and they sell our house. Future DH and I manage to see each other 3 more times that year and spend his birthday and NYE in Chicago.

2006-2nd year of graduate school. Had tons of fun in the city with my friends and had a great summer in Chicago. The fall I started my internship with delinquent youth; lots of train traveling ensues. That fall semester was the worst of my life. My grandfather was dying. I spend the semester working double time so I dont fall behind as the inevitable will happen before Christmas. I made a quick trip home to say goodbye in October, he passes 3 weeks later. First Christmas without him was the worst of my life. Future DH spends Christmas with my family and is a trooper through our emotional mess. Somehow, I manage to pull out the best grades of my school career. Just before NYE, future DH proposes and we plan for a 2007 wedding.

2007-Our family dog, a wonderful shih tzu, is put to sleep in March after 17 years of a long and happy life. Very hard to say goodbye but seemed fitting since my grandfather had passed just a few months before and they were best buds. I know they are playing together in heaven. Graduate from my program and get married to the love of my life. Prepare all summer to move to Canada. Start my indefinite unemployment in September. Visit Florida with my new in-laws. Not the way I envisioned my first holidays with my new DH but we had fun anyway.

2008-I send my papers to the Canadian government so I can become a permanent resident in February. In June I land at the border as a permanent resident. My beloved great-grandmother passes away. Start looking for a job and get my first job in Canada as a psychology professor exactly one year after my unemployment started. A month later I start my contract as an addictions counsellor.

2009-Continue working as a professor and addictions counsellor. Try desperately to get a permanent job. We buy our first home in August and start to try for our first child. Luckily we get our BFP on the first cycle and we start the journey to parenthood. We end the year on a high note and celebrate my Dad's 50th birthday and with many dreams for 2010!

3 comments:

  1. Loved your decade recap, Ruby! Fun to read about how you and DH met. I can't believe you landed at the border in 2008 - I remember when that happened and it feels like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ella! I know, it seems like the last year and half has just flown by! Time goes too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - great review! What a journey you've been on, and it seems like things are just getting started :)

    ReplyDelete