Monday, October 12, 2009

8 Weeks

Lots of questions this week from people. Its funny the things people ask you or give advice about when you get PG.

I've had to explain my rationale for choosing a midwife over a doctor. I was asked if I'm against epidurals. I would prefer to not use an epi but when push comes to shove (no pun intended...ok maybe, lol) I am not against them at all and may find the need for one myself. I just prefer the care of a midwife over a doctor and I know that if necessary, I can be transferred to a doctor's care very easily. One of DH's aunts was like "oh JUST a midwife, eh?" Yes just a MW who happens to be a trained nurse and certified MW and has delivered over 1800 babies, thanks...grrrr.

My pants are getting tight. I almost bought a pair in the next size up but I decided to wait it out. I'll probably just break down and buy maternity pants anyway instead of just getting bigger pants. I need a new bra too but its not too noticeable yet that my cups runneth over.

I got to hold a two month old for a few hours on Saturday. She slept in my arms for at least an hour and I talked to her mom about PG and birth. It was so fun and the little wee one is so sweet!

The first thing mother in law asked me this weekend when she saw me was "Hi! Are you showing yet??" To which I replied, "Haha, I'm too fat to show yet." Ugh...seriously!!?? At 8 weeks, I'm supposed to be showing?!?! Craziness...and really, I am heavy to start with so I dont expect to show that much until much later in the 2nd trimester.

The other thing from her was a registery. Ugh honestly. I have no desire to shop and when I think about it, its very overwhelming. I really don't want to do any shopping or decision making until I hit the 2nd trimester. I was telling DH's cousins about this (they have two children each, one of which was the 2 month old) and they totally backed me up. MIL must have overheard me because she was looking right at me. So I hope she gets the hint. She also asked if she could buy the crib...to which I replied I need to speak with my parents first. She said she wants to buy a "big thing." Ok Super Ma Mere....

I sound like a bitch I know but I'm really not. I know she is excited for us and for the baby but enough already. Just like getting married and planning a wedding, I don't obsess over these things like other people I guess. I'm also a really grounded person and I just don't get giddy or giggly over this stuff. I am SUPER excited and I love being pregnant and I can't wait for the baby. But I definitely don't gush non-stop about it. I would become those annoying women I don't like very much. I dont want a baby to be the entire focus of my life until May. Am I being completely irrational and ridiculous about this??

I asked DH if it would be unreasonable to wait to buy a crib until my parents come after the baby is born and then my parents could buy us the crib. This way my parents are involved, DH and my dad can bond over putting the crib together and we really don't need a crib right away as I plan to get a bassinet for our bedroom. I figured MIL could buy the bassinet for us which may placate her need to buy "a big thing." He seemed to like this idea so we'll see what we end up doing. Everything else in the nursery will be ready before the baby gets here.

I did buy the baby a polar bear this weekend. Arctic baby animals is our nursery theme and Build-A-Bear has a polar bear. So I stuffed it and bought the baby for it...its super duper cute and cuddly. I named him Ice Cap. He'll go in our room for awhile until we get the nursery started sometime in January.

My first appointment with my midwife is on Wednesday. I'm very excited about that and so is DH. It will feel like things are moving along at a good pace after seeing her I think and get my mind on the ultrasounds and seeing the baby.

Finally I dreamed this week about the delivery and in the dream DH shouted, "Its a girl." I've been calling the baby "she" all week too. I kind of think its a girl but I hope its not just hoping that has me thinking this way.

Will update after my appointment on Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are wise to not go crazy over shopping yet. Now is the time to get used to your body changing and just get excited about the new baby. You don't have to buy a bunch of "stuff" to show that excitement.

    Isn't it annoying how babies seem to become communal property - even before they're born? Just remember - you and DH are the parents. Your say is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Communal property...that's a good way to put it. Its hard to put boundaries into place when they are so genuinely excited and I'm glad they are excited as they are entitled to be of course. Aaah the next months will be a crash course in all of this...and here I thought the newlywed period/adjusting to being/having inlaws was hard!! Thanks AJ for your thoughts...mucho appreciated as always!

    ReplyDelete