Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Summons....

I was summoned to witness at a child custody/protection case for a past client in November.

My first thought was: "Wow what a horrible date to be at trial. December 21 and 22, 2009. The Society will either ruin this family's Christmas or it'll be the happiest damn day of their lives."

My second thought was: "What the hell? This hasnt been resolved yet!? The kid hasnt been at the parents home for 2 years!"

My third thought was: "I hate the Society." I say this weekly. I hate it more than any other social service entity.

My fourth thought was: "Shit. I have to testify at family court."

So I had supervision with my boss about the file and the case, which wasn't all that helpful, sent a document to the lawyers summarizing my involvement, and got more prettied up yesterday than I have in recent weeks. Meaning, my hair wasnt in a ponytail, I had eyeshadow on my eyelids and I got to rock my new maternity business jacket. I may even wear the jacket after the PG because its so cute and I got lots of compliments on it. A girl gotta look good....anyway I digress.

It was a bit un-nerving. Not because I wasn't prepared or insecure about my involvement with the client or testimony. Just the whole process because I have never testified in a real courtroom before....

But I did save money on my car insurance with Geico. Har. Har. Har.

Anyway....

Like where do I put my coat when I get in there?

I hope I spell my name right.

I dont feel good, darnit Thunder, we gotta get thru this without pissing our pants. Ugh bathroom break...ok, thats over and always happens when the nerves are up. Sorry Thunder for blaming you so quickly, forgive me.

Oh yeah...dr's appt in 2 hours. Will I make it? Should I call them to reschedule just in case I'm sitting here all day? Ugh...thats RIGHT! They're doing the pa.p sme.ar today. Faaaantastic....now I gotta go wash up after court.

Where do I sit? In grad school, we had a mock trial at a real courthouse with a judge and real lawyers and I had the voir dire part meaning I was up to testify first....and I sat on the wrong side of the judge. Thankfully they were cool with it and didnt make me move or embarrass me but they did point it out. Will never forget that, lol.

Do I take my notes out before or after the lawyer starts talking about the material?

Do I acknowledge my client or will that seem fishy?

Hmmm...the cop in the courtroom is kinda cute.

Oh Thunder, please calm down. Oh wait..those are my intestines again.

"Look how cute! There is a real judge!!" Reference anyone? No seriously, she was this super cute old lady who I wanted to share a plate of cookies and a glass of milk with talking about the old days.

You get the picture. My testimony was pretty solid I think and the Society's lawyer tried to trip me up about my recommendations. Didn't work. I'm quick on my feet even under pressure.

I still dont really know what the trial was about whether the kid was going up for adoption or going home to the parents.

I so hope their Christmas wasnt ruined and that 2010 will be a better year for the family.

Oh and I didnt piss myself and I didnt get the pa.p smea.r. My blood pressure was a bit high though (125/80).

Gee I wonder why?

2 comments:

  1. Gosh that sounds completely nerve-wracking. I hope that 2010 will be a better year for them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeesh - nice Christmas gift, indeed - for you and for them. I hope it all worked out ok for them in the long run.

    ReplyDelete