Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 5-A Song That Reminds You of Someone...

DH and I traded music back and forth quite frequently when we were long-distance. Having illegally downloaded music wasnt such a big deal back in 2003. In fact, one of his first gifts to me was a CD of music we had traded. Aaah the modern version of the mix tape, it must have been love, haha. Anyway, as a result a ton of songs remind me of him. Here Without You by 3 Doors Down was one of the first songs he traded to me. I traded him tons of jazz and classical music, he introduced me to Our Lady Peace and The Tea Party, a few Canadian bands. Our wedding song is Keeper of the Stars by Tracy Byrd which I could easily link here but that seems rather cliche to post as a song that reminds me of him. Its just too obvious.

Instead I'll post a link to a song we have sang badly together. We were playing SingStar 80's at a gathering at a friends house. You can play this either by solo or by duet so DH and I did a duet. Neither of us can sing to save our lives, we are both incredibly flat and off-key. DH rarely knows the correct lyrics, try as he may and despite my musical talent with instruments, I have never been able to sing. So this was our song that night and it was incredibly embarassing because you can play back your recording. All of us had a great laugh and now when it comes on the radio, we turn it up and blast it, singing shamelessly and laughing our asses off.

Simple Minds-Dont You (Forget About Me)



The other song I want to post is a song that reminds me of Maxim. Like a good preggo, I put together my labor playlist to be played during labor. I made the selection and DH put it together for me on his Ipod. I had a wide variety of music...rock, jazz, classical, DMB. For some reason though, during my labor, I latched onto this particular song. My hospital stay and labor was very long (58 hours from water break to baby born) and there were many sort of mini-breakdowns along the way. This song sort of elevated me back up during those times. I also sang it to him in the early weeks when trying to get him to sleep. When I hear it, I think of my sweet boy and his birthday and all the joy he has brought to me.

Rufus Wainwright-Hallelujah

No comments:

Post a Comment