Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 6-A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere...

I lived in Chicago for two years while completing my graduate degree and it was a great two years. I was 23, single but attached in a long-distance relationship and completely alone in a big city. It was like starting fresh in many ways...new town, new way of life, new friends. I spent a lot of time on public transportation, much like anybody that lives in a city. For Christmas, I got an MP3 player to block out the noise of the buses and the annoying people. I had that thing hooked to me for 2 years. I had a variety of songs and I went through a few phases of getting hooked to Elvis, Ray Charles, The Killers and Johnny Cash. Gnarls Barkley was huge during those years with "Crazy" and Justin had his "Sexyback." I was still trading music with my DH, a way to keep connected through the distance. At one point I got hooked on Jackson Browne and during my long commutes I would listen to a lot of Jackson Browne. I particularly fell in love with "Running on Empty" and "The Pretender." I often listened to Running on Empty when I really felt at my limits with school, my internship, the commute, the expenses of living in a city, being away from my boyfriend and family. My beloved grandfather died the 2nd to last semester of school in November, my family dog of 18 years was put to sleep the following spring. I'm the only person in my family to have a graduate degree, something I'm really proud to have. Its my greatest accomplishment thus far in my almost 29 years.

It was a really wonderful two years and really formative in many ways. I am still very close friends with the people I met then, I have fond memories of living in the city. This song has a lot of ambiguity but whatever its meaning, I think its ultimately about dreams. When I hear "Read My Mind" by The Killers, I am taken back to the train where I spent many nights watching the city lights glitter, reflecting on my days, worried about bills and wondering if my boyfriend would propose (he did of course). Missing my grandfather with an ache in my heart I had never known, knowing he was watching over me. Working hard into the witching hours, laughing and having fun with my friends over food, drinks and a dance floor. I love Chicago, it will always have a place in my heart.

The Killers-Read My Mind

1 comment: